The Barre City Planning Commission is working on a comprehensive review and update of the city's zoning ordinance and map. We will be using this webpage to post information about meetings, draft documents and more.
If you have applied for a zoning permit or other development approval in Barre City, please take a few minutes to answer some questions about your experience and satisfaction with the zoning ordinance and permitting process.
This project got underway in September 2016 and work will be ongoing through July 2017. The approach and timeline for the project is as follows:
- October 2016. Review the adopted zoning, seek feedback on what is working and not working with current zoning, and consider alternatives
- November 2016. Develop a draft zoning map and zoning district standards (what uses will be allowed, dimensional standards, density of housing, etc.)
- January 2017. Release the first draft of the zoning map and district standards and invite public comment
- March 2017. Release the first draft of the entire revised ordinance and invite public comment
- May 2017. Present a second draft of the ordinance revised based on public feedback
- July 2017. Hold Planning Commission hearing and forward recommended draft ordinance to City Council for their consideration and eventual adoption